Matthew Wolfenden (footballer)
|Date of birth||23 July 1987|
|Place of birth||Oldham, England|
|Playing position||Attacking midfielder / Striker|
|2010–2017||FC United of Manchester||305||(94)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 18:50, 22 January 2017 (UTC)|
Matthew Wolfenden (born 23 July 1987) is an English footballer. Wolfenden started out at Oldham Athletic, his hometown club, before moving to Wales to play for Wrexham in the summer of 2009. He spent 7 years playing for FC United of Manchester before leaving the club in July 2017.
As a child, Wolfenden attended his hometown school and one of the best schools in the area, the Blue Coat School in Oldham.
Born in Oldham, Greater Manchester, Wolfenden was a product of the Oldham Athletic youth system, having been with the club since the age of 9, Wolfenden made his first team appearance as a late substitute during a 1–0 defeat to Swindon Town in the then Second Division on 15 November 2003, making him the second youngest player to ever play for the Latics at the age of 16 years and 115 days. His first senior goal for the club came nearly four years later when he scored in the second leg of a play-off semi-final defeat to Blackpool on 19 May 2007. He was released from Boundary Park on 20 July 2009.
Following his release, Wolfenden signed for Football Conference side Wrexham, after impressing in pre-season friendlies against Preston North End and Carlton Town. He made his debut for the club on 8 August 2009 in a 3–0 win over Eastbourne Borough on the opening day of the 2009–10 season. He went on to make 15 league appearances before being released at the end of the season.
FC United of Manchester
On 31 October 2010 Wolfenden signed for Northern Premier League Premier Division outfit F.C. United of Manchester after being released from Wrexham earlier that year. He made his debut for FC United in a 2–1 FA Trophy win over Colwyn Bay at Gigg Lane.
Wolfenden was FCUM's top scorer in the 2011–12 and 2012–13 seasons.
After seven years with the club, he left in July 2017.
- "1st Team Statistics". FCUM in Russia. Retrieved 3 June 2015.
- "Matty Wolfenden happy to be at Wrexham FC". Liverpool Daily Post. 25 July 2006. Archived from the original on 29 February 2012. Retrieved 4 March 2010.
- "Oldham 0–1 Swindon". BBC Sport. 15 October 2003. Retrieved 5 March 2008.
- "Blackpool 3–1 Oldham (agg 5–2)". BBC Sport. 19 April 2007. Retrieved 4 March 2010.
- Norris, Tom (24 July 2009). "Sakho and Wolfenden check in at Wrexham FC". Evening Leader. Archived from the original on 26 July 2009. Retrieved 15 June 2015.
- "Wrexham set to boost strike force". BBC Sport. 24 July 2009. Retrieved 4 March 2010.
- "Wrexham 3–0 Eastbourne". BBC Sport. 8 August 2009. Retrieved 4 March 2010.
- "FC United sign former Oldham Athletic forward". FC United of Manchester. 31 October 2010. Retrieved 31 October 2010.
- "FC United 2–1 Colwyn Bay". FC United of Manchester. 31 October 2010. Retrieved 31 October 2010.
- "PLAYER UPDATE as of 21st July 2017". FC United of Manchester. 21 July 2017. Retrieved 21 July 2017.